Den Makeover Inspirations and Ideas

Since we moved in our house I’ve been trying to decide the best way to use our den.  The furniture that we had didn’t fit the space very well, but it’s what we have so it’s what we’ve been using.  But I’ve been thinking about and looking for new or “new to me” furniture for the past year or so and I think it’s finally starting to come together.  For starters I finally painted the room a color I love and have finally ordered a couch, a sectional that I’m very excited about.  It’ll be a couple of months before it comes in, but I’ll show it off when it does.  To get ideas I’ve been reading all kinds of home decorating blogs and anytime I see something that I like I bookmark it so I won’t forget about it.  I thought I’d share a few of those things here today since I’ve been spending so much of my thinking time on it:).

I don’t have space for end tables so there isn’t anywhere to place lamps and I miss having layered lighting, the only light in the room is the overhead light.  Also, I’d like to have more storage and display places.  I saw this bookcase on The Nester blog and love it, the best part is it’s only $69 from Ikea!

I want to put it on that wall beside the window.  I’m going to wait until my couch comes in before I actually buy it, just to make sure that it’ll fit okay, but I measured it and I think it’ll be perfect.  And I plan to get a large canvas print made of one of my pictures to hang above it.

I mentioned that there is no room for end tables…not only do I miss not having a place for lamps but I also miss having a place to set a drink when I’m sitting on the couch.  So I thought a coffee table would be a good replacement for end tables.  After seeing them on several blogs I decided I wanted a round pedestal coffee table, but when I started looking for one I realized they aren’t as easy to find as you might think.  And when you do find one they are expensive.  Like this one that I loved until I realized it costs $1220!

So I came up with a DIY option that I’ll share the details of later.  Mainly because I’m not finished with it yet.

Remember this picture where I said I had plans for this wall?

The thermostat and doorbell cover stand out like a sore thumb to me.  Then I saw this picture on Young House Love and thought it was a perfect way to camouflage them.

So I’m planning to make a collage of things framed in white to hang on that wall.  And while I still love my sofa table that’s on that wall I’m thinking about replacing it with something else that would give me more storage space.  I’ve been seeing lots of dressers used in living spaces and I love the idea.  Like this one, also from The Nester blog, that she bought at a yard sale for $18!

And this one from Bower Power

Think of all the stuff that could be stored in those drawers!  So I’m on the lookout for a dresser that I can use on that wall.  I have the measurements written down and keep them in my purse so that if I find something I’ll know if it’s the right size.

So…that’s what been occupying my free time lately, reading home decorating blogs, and actually starting to implement some of the ideas.  I don’t know how long it’ll take me to finish, but I’ll be sure to share when it happens.  Please note that these ideas aren’t written in stone, I have been known to change my mind a few times:).

And I will get back to blogging photo shoots at some point, I’ve just been taking a break from it for a little while so that I can catch up on a few other things.  Thanks for sticking with me!

Bobbie Brown - March 5, 2011 - 11:04 am

Love the idea’s/plans and can’t wait to see as you progress. Also, I LOVE sectional sofa’s!!!!! That will look great in your space. And of course nothing is set in stone, you are a girl after all, and aren’t we good at changing our minds?! haha! Xo

Alicia - March 4, 2011 - 10:14 pm

Molly, I did notice that buffet set back in the nook in the dining room. I had no idea that was their old dresser, good to know!

Alicia - March 4, 2011 - 10:13 pm

Yes, that green entry table and mirror were both gorgeous!

Alicia - March 4, 2011 - 10:13 pm

You’re right Mallory, the only problem is I don’t like getting up that early on Saturdays! I may have to make a point to go yardsaling one day soon.

Alicia - March 4, 2011 - 6:51 pm

That is exactly what I have in mind Selena! I got the idea from a woman I clean for, Margaret Stegall. Would that by any chance be whose house you saw it at? I found one at Salvation Army, bought it, and Daddy cut the pedestal down. I’m just waiting to decide how to refinish it, I want to get my couch before I make a definite decision.

Selena - March 4, 2011 - 3:53 pm

Alicia, this may be your idea for a cocktail table, but I went to somebody’s home recently and commented on their beautiful 42″ round cocktail table. She and her husband have been married over 50 years and she told me it was the original dining table they started out with! It was solid oak, with a beautiful pedestal. She had a section cut out of the pedestal to shorten it to the desired height, then reattached the table top. I’ll bet you could find a good deal on an old round pedestal table and use her idea :)

Leah Austin - March 4, 2011 - 11:08 am

Can’t wait to see your new furniture & I love the blue table!!

April - March 4, 2011 - 10:01 am

Alicia, you are making me be excited for yard sale season to start up, so maybe I can find some things to use around my house! I’ve always loved yard sales – they are like treasure hunts, and you’ve had so many little used furniture makeover ideas that you are getting me inspired! I’d especially like to find some old picture frames to remake.

I can’t wait to see your coffee table makeover. I know you have to wait for the couch first, but it’s going to be hard to be patient!

I love your design and diy blog posts, by the way. And I can’t wait to see the Scrabble tile project!

Mallory - March 4, 2011 - 8:48 am

I love all these idea’s Alicia. And also, I think yard sale hopping is the best place to find dressers. I found a huge one for $17, I just need to repaint it, I love it!

Holly Austin - March 4, 2011 - 8:29 am

Love the inspiration ideas! And I’m so excited you ordered a sectional, I’ve always loved and wanted one but never had the opportunity to get one. Can’t wait to see it all come together.

BTW, the inspiration picture you pulled from YHL – wasn’t that entire house gorgeous? I absolutely loved the green table w/ the gorgeous mirror above it in the entryway!

Ashton - March 4, 2011 - 7:54 am

Alicia,
I love all your ideas … I can’t wait to see how everything comes together. That round blue coffee table is right up my alley, I LOVE that antique blue color.

Molly - March 4, 2011 - 7:33 am

Love your ideas, Alicia. Had to comment on the dresser idea…I don’t know if you remember seeing the buffet in Sheila’s dining room the other night or not. It is actually their old dresser! Tommy too took the drawers off and built wood and wrought iron doors across the front, painted it a “roughed up” black and wahla! Now she has a beautiful piece of furniture that works as an excellence source for storage too. I love it!

Works in progress… » Mona Alicia - March 7, 2011 - 5:25 am

[...] here that aren’t quite finished yet, but I thought I’d show what has happened so far. Friday I posted about wanting a round, pedestal coffee table and I’ve had several people tell me some ideas [...]

Your email is never published or shared. Required fields are marked *

There was an error submitting your comment. Please try again.