How To Recycle Jeans (a money saving post, haha!)

I totally believe in getting my moneys worth out of something and jeans are no exception. I’ve always made cut-offs out of my girls jeans when they get holes in the knees. Then they wear their cut-offs all summer and I save money because I don’t have to buy as many shorts for them to wear. I’m pretty sure I’m not the first person to think of that, I’m willing to bet money that you’ve probably done it too, but have you ever wondered about what to do with those pieces of fabric that you cut off? No? Hmm, I guess it’s just me. Well, I figured out something to do with them about a year ago and today I thought I’d share it with you, aren’t you the lucky one?! Of course I had to take pictures to go along with this post because a post with no pictures is no fun at all is it?

So…to recycle your jeans start by finding a pair of jeans with holes in the knees.

Then just cut ‘em off. Are you with me so far? (Word of caution though, make sure you don’t cut them off too short…you don’t want your daughters running around looking like Daisy Duke.)

Then tie the cut off piece into a knot and give it to your dog as a chew toy. Buttons loves them!

See? She gets pretty excited.

Now she’s got it and is making a run for it!

“You’ll never catch me now!”

She gets into the den and finishes off her “kill”.

You can see from these next shots that she gnaws the mess out of ‘em! When they get too bad I just throw them away and the best part is, they’re free!

So…if you ever come to my house and wonder why I have scraps of jean fabric that are tied up in knots and have obviously been chewed on strewed across my floor…now you know. It’s our dog, not me or the kids, that has been doing the chewing.

I love hearing about money saving tips…do you have any kooky ways to save money that others might think are kind of weird?

Alicia - May 22, 2011 - 9:58 pm

Good for them, I bet they could make a cute skirt or something out of it!

April - May 22, 2011 - 12:23 am

Thought I’d let you know that your post has inspired M & C to cut off about 6 pairs of their jeans! We got a sewing machine yesterday, so some of the scrap denim may become American Girl clothes!

Tabitha - May 19, 2011 - 8:42 pm

I love these of Buttons! She is so very pleased to get her new toy!

Alicia - May 19, 2011 - 8:16 pm

I didn’t see that Centsational post Holly…I’ll have to go check it out. And I’m the same way about my jeans, once I find a pair I like it wear them out!

Holly Austin - May 19, 2011 - 11:27 am

Okay, I thought for a minute that you were giving your old, faded jeans a new dye job… I saw this post:

awhile back and ever since then I’ve been wanting to dye my favorite pair of jeans-turned-capris. Last night I went to Wal-Mart to get the dye but they were out of the color I wanted – maybe everyone in Monrore reads her blog and has decided to dye their jeans?!? Assuming not, but anyways I can’t wait to try it out!! Once I find a pair of jeans/capris that I like, I keep them for years at a time, and mine are badly in need of a little pick-me-up. So that’s how I’m saving my money :)

Alicia - May 18, 2011 - 4:38 pm

Good one April, I’ve never thought of saving those!

April - May 18, 2011 - 4:31 pm

Hahahaha – good one! :)

Okay, I’ll share my tip. I save our pudding cup/applesauce/yogurt cups and use them for a) art projects – they make great water cups, so everybody gets their own and your “nice” glasses and mugs don’t get paint all over them. and b) to drain the hot grease from bacon or ground beef. I let it harden overnight, and then toss in the trash. Easy peasy, and no blocked sink drains. I am sure that b) will be very useful to you since ground beef is your favorite food! ;)

Bobbie Brown - May 18, 2011 - 2:42 pm

Haha! You trip me out! I did not see that one coming! Buttons looks very pleased I must say :-)

Your email is never published or shared. Required fields are marked *

There was an error submitting your comment. Please try again.